Friday, October 15, 2010

Experiencing the Wisdom of God Through Proverbs

1.A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare. NLT

1A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. KJV

Relationships are so important in everyday life

Pastor John and I have been married for 23 years and like any couple that has been married for any period of time we've experienced verse one of chapter 15. Thankfully we've both become more adapt at the gentle answer part of the verse. There are times when I have been amazed at God's grace to help us answer gently and to see anger or hurt fade away. We are not perfect...so yes I'll admit over the years we've seen the second part of the verse too. It takes grace to answer gently when we are upset about something our mate or friend has said when they are angry...or when we feel they've done something wrong. The knee jerk response is to match their anger or assume what we've suspected is correct and go at them with a vengeance. Practicing this verse in your everyday experience is not weakness or allowing the world to stomp on you, no rather it allows for the heart of the matter to be seen rather than clouded with angry expressions of self protection.

This verse reminds me that God is so faithful to talk to us about issues that can change the course of our life. He talks about issues that will be reoccurring throughout our life. While we would like to think that we can learn a truth and never be tested in it again...that simply isn't reality. Pastor John and I have gotten better at giving gentle answers by reason of use and hiding the Word of God in our heart...but each new issue is an opportunity to walk in the love of Christ or to follow the flesh. So this verse is as fresh today as the first day we read it.

I see I've taken up all my writing space on one verse today. There are so many good ones in chapter 15. Pastor John told me about a verse that reminded him of a food buffet.

Which verses jumped out at you today?


Has their been a verse in our journey that has been a verse that has been something that changed the course of your actions on more than one occasion?

Here is one more verse that caught my attention

2 The tongue of the wise makes knowledge appealing,
but the mouth of a fool belches out foolishness. NLT

2 comments:

  1. anger is something I don't like to see creep up in my life- Before I got saved my temper was very volatile, when God saved me that was the first thing He dealt with so I am very careful to watch that area and keep it under control.

    ReplyDelete